The maximum number of planets you may colonize is dependent upon the level of the research technology, Astrophysics. And of course, there are counters to these lively facts below.
The 'Catch' Edit
- A research technology, Astrophysics, allows you to both colonize and conduct expeditions. You must first research this technology before you are able to colonize any worlds (other than your homeworld). This creates an added component to the 'early-game race' where people strive to build cruisers, recyclers, colony ships. The square root of the level of astrophysics allows you X number of expedition slots and every other level (1, 3, 5, 7) of astrophysics allows you an additional colony slot. Refer to the table in Astrophysics.
- Also, once again, in reference to the table below, slots 1-3 & 13-15 are considered restricted until you gain the ability to colonize 4 & 5 additional planets (i.e. Levels 7 & 9 Astrophysics).
- In addition to these constraints, the maximum colony size is 250 (275 when in +25 slot universes).
- The planet size spirals out from Slot 8, the 'best large field chance' slot and decreases evenly down to slot 1 and 15. This distribution gives an even pro/con to the system planetary position's field size, deut bonus, and sat bonus. Colonies further from the sun i.e. higher planet slot produce higher quantities of deuterium, so if you wish to produce high quantities, choose a slot far from the sun.
- The distribution of fields for any particular slot follows that of a "Bell Curve". This means that finding planets at the upper or lower end of size is increasingly more unlikely to happen, and that you are much more likely to find a planet that is "average". However, though sheer number of attempts, you can achieve almost any size you desire.
Chart of planet and moon images according to coordinates (until 4.0.2game version): http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/2626/xkatalgusholdas.jpg
The exact formula to calculate the cost of Astrophysics research is as follows:
rounded to the closest 100 .
|1||4 000||8 000||4 000|
|2||7 000||14 000||7 000|
|3||12 300||24 500||12 300|
|4||21 400||42 900||21 400|
|5||37 500||75 000||37 500|
|6||65 700||131 300||65 700|
|7||114 900||229 800||114 900|
|8||201 100||402 100||201 100|
|9||351 900||703 800||351 900|